Letters I Can No Longer Send To You - Part 1

 Dearest darling,

I spent the whole of last night wondering how you would have felt about this film I just watched. There were so many moments when I turned my head in reflex, expecting to you see your face scrunched up in a laugh. Maybe in awe. Definitely twisted with glee, once or twice. I'd like nothing more than to say that this was a one time thing. It's really not.

I turn my head to catch you smirking when I'm all alone in the car and yell at the other drivers. I turn my head to tell you the food is tangy, even though I've set a table for one. I turn my head to ask you to pass the water bottle, conveniently forgetting that I sleep on your side of the bed now. I turn my head when I have really good sambhar, hoping that we've finally found the one that fixes your sinus. And then without fail, every morning, I turn my head to check if a minor miracle has settled you under the covers next to me. 

It might sound odd to you, but I often turn my head and pretend that it's the first summer that we met, and you've just walked up to the table for our first date. I pretend a lot these days. I don't mind. I've become excellent at imaging the shape of your body pressed up against mine. It's like having phantom limbs, only I'm thinking of yours instead of mine.

I hope you watch this film. I'm not entirely sure why, but maybe you'll see why I'm too stubborn to accept the reality in front of me. Maybe you'll even text to ask me about it. Maybe then I'll turn my head, and you'll finally be standing in front of me. Maybe.

Yours, lovingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rant.

An Ode to Him

In The Time of Cholera, Love and Other Musings